Softball

Madison Knight earns ACC All-Freshman Team honors

Joe Zaho | Staff Photographer

Madison Knight earned All-ACC freshman honors after recording a team-high 3.04 ERA.

Madison Knight has been named to the Atlantic Coast Conference All-Freshmen Team announced prior to Wednesday’s conference Tournament game against Virginia. The Maryland native quickly emerged as Syracuse’s No. 1 option in the circle and displayed her two-way ability with her strong performance at the plate.

As a pitcher, Knight finished the regular season with a team-leading 3.04 ERA, earning 13 wins and accumulating a 1.42 WHIP in 30 appearances (18 starts). On April 8 against NC State, Knight tossed a five-inning no-hitter, which at the time was the first no-hitter thrown by an SU pitcher since 2018 and the 11th in program history.

“It’s absolutely insane,” Knight said of her historic outing.

From April 19-29, Knight made seven pitching appearances. The Orange won all but one of those games in that span. She threw five complete games in the stretch and only allowed a total of six earned runs.

At the plate, Knight was just as impactful. Her 25 RBIs were second only to Kelly Breen (26). She tied with Tessa Galipeau and Taylor Posner for second on the team in home runs (three) and ended the regular season fourth in OPS (.802).

On April 15 against North Carolina, in the back half of a doubleheader, Knight blasted a go-ahead, three-run homer to put the Orange up 5-4. She then went out to the circle and helped seal the victory, splitting the doubleheader against the Tar Heels.