Conservative Column

Government shutdown is also unpopular among conservatives

Our congressman, Rep. John Katko (R-Camillus), who is in support of securing the southern border, voted to reopen the government without funding for the wall.

On Dec. 22, 2018, the government shut down because of a sprawling immigration debate. Today, the shutdown is the longest government shutdown in American history.

What’s so perplexing about the situation is the disapproval of President Donald Trump’s actions, in forcing this shutdown, from both sides of the aisle.

The disapproval from the Republican Party seems to display just how ill-conceived this shutdown is. Our congressman, Rep. John Katko (R-Camillus), who is in support of securing the southern border, voted to reopen the government without funding for the wall.

Erin O’Conner, a spokesperson for Katko’s campaign, shared a statement from Katko: “The time has come for Republicans and Democrats to settle on a compromise solution that will re-open the federal government, as well as secure our southern border.”

While I am not and never will be in favor of funding a border wall, as it seems to be a pointless use of federal funds — and organized crime and potential terrorists wouldn’t be deterred by just a wall — I do think Katko shows us a compelling way to get out of this mess.

Democrats have an excellent opportunity to leverage legislation such as the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program in exchange for funding the border wall. If this happens, it could be a win-win for both parties.

The effects of this shutdown may seem inconsequential to a college student, but college students are one of the many reasons why it’s so important to end this shutdown.

The IRS is down to essential personnel during the shutdown. Now, students who need to apply for Free Application for Federal Student Aid cannot get a tax transcript from the IRS to complete their application. The Department of Education has been allowing a signed copy of a tax return from 2017-18. But, the IRS office dedicated to distributing the alternative documents has been frequently unavailable.

What this means is simple. If there’s an issue in processing these documents, you’re likely out of luck until the government reopens.

Harrison Garfinkle is a communication and rhetorical studies major. His column runs biweekly. He can be reached at hgarfink@syr.edu.