Syracuse remains at No. 6 in Inside Lacrosse Top 20

Ally Moreo | Photo Editor

Syracuse avoided an upset Saturday at St. John's, one week before SU travels to Baltimore for a date with No. 14 Johns Hopkins.

Syracuse remains No. 6 in Inside Lacrosse’s Top 20 poll after narrowly escaping another one-goal game, its fourth in as many weeks.

Unlike the previous three weeks, the Orange (4-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) struggled in the second half. A couple of late SU turnovers gave St. John’s an opportunity to tie with a few seconds left. The shot went high and wide.

“Fifteen turnovers,” Syracuse head coach John Desko said. “Fortunately, St. John’s had as many.”

Syracuse poured in the first five goals of the game, with FOGO Ben Williams adding a goal and assist. Nick Mariano led the team in points with five, scoring a pair of goals and three assists. In net, Evan Molloy posted his second-best performance in net for the Orange. He finished with nine saves.

All five ACC teams are ranked in the poll released Monday: No. 2 Notre Dame, No. 6 Syracuse, No. 9 North Carolina, No. 12 Virginia and No. 13 Duke.

Syracuse will hit the road for the second consecutive week, taking on No. 14 Johns Hopkins. JHU was previously ranked inside the Top 10, but dropped seven spots this week after losing to Towson.

The Blue Jays (4-2) currently ride a two-game losing streak and return to Homewood Field to take on the Orange.