Thirsty Thursday

Thirsty Thursday: Victory HopDevil India Pale Ale

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Victory HopDevil India Pale Ale is brewed at Victory Brewing Company, in Downingtown, Pennsylvania.

Most of the time when I’m staring at the endless stacks of beer Wegmans has to offer, I end up choosing something I’ve never had before. But this week I was drawn to an old, hometown favorite of mine — Victory HopDevil India Pale Ale.

I’ll preface this review by saying that if you’re not an IPA drinker, this beer might not be for you. As its name indicates, this brew packs a very hoppy punch. However, if you’re like me and enjoy the bitter yet citrusy taste of hops, HopDevil is the holy grail.

Brewed and bottled in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, Victory Brewing Company has had its doors open for less than two decades but already is distributing to more than half the country. The HopDevil, named after a character founder Bill Covaleski created and drew before the beer was even made, was a part of Victory’s original lineup and is one of their finest.

HopDevil has a dark, burnt golden color to it and produces a thick and creamy head. The label’s claim that it is “bold, spicy and menacingly delicious” is on point. You can smell the potent yet citrusy hops before even taking a sip.

You can certainly tell it’s an IPA from the first sip, but my favorite part about HopDevil is its surprisingly malty and rich flavor. The aromatic flavor of hops hits you right off the bat, but HopDevil has a lasting, full-bodied finish, filled with the flavor of the rich malts used to brew the beer. HopDevil is bitter, but not too bitter, with just the right amount of sweet, citrusy flavor to counterbalance the strong hops. Sweet and malty notes cap off a plethora of flavors and give HopDevil a very smooth finish.

Best paired with cheddar cheese, barbecue ribs and grilled meats, HopDevil is the real deal when it comes to IPA’s. The strong and sometimes overwhelming flavor of hops can be too much for some people, but if you’re bold enough to take on the HopDevil, I guarantee you’ll find heaven in a bottle.